Saturday 21 April 2012

Jones vs. Evans at UFC 145 Full Fight



ATLANTA – After more than one year of nothing but chatter, the time for talk is over for Jon Jones and Rashad Evans.

The friends-turned-foes finally get the chance to let their actions speak for themselves, as they square off for the Ultimate Fighting Championship light heavyweight title Saturday night at a sold-out Phillips Arena in Atlanta, GA.But when Jones said last March that if UFC president Dana White demanded they meet, "then I guess that's what would have to happen,” Evans left Jackson’s team, Jones won the title and the feud was on.

Their match has been in the works ever since that night, but injuries to both kept delaying the inevitable. As their schedules got out of sync last year, Jones – now 24 years old and considered perhaps the greatest prospect in the sport’s history – beat former champs Quinton Jackson and Lyoto Machida. Meanwhile, Evans, the 32-year-old veteran, beat ex-champ Tito Ortiz and Phil Davis, the latter of which officially set up Saturday’s contest.Brimage was awarded scores of 30-27 and 29-28, while Blanco was given a 29-28 from the third judge. Following the bout, the two got into a gymnastics battle of sorts, each trying to one-up the other with backflips and cartwheels, drawing further boos from the fans in Atlanta.

“I was watching him for a long time and waiting for the right opportunities. It wasn't the same guy I thought I was going to fight. He was running from me a bit,” said Brimage.

“I was trying to pick my shots. I wanted to outdo the main event and even though it's not the fight I thought it would be, I'm happy.”

* Travis Browne (12-0-1) meets Chad Griggs (11-1) in a heavyweight bout.

* Matt Brown (15-11) takes on Stephen Thompson (6-0) in a welterweight contest.

* Montreal’s John Makdessi (9-1) squares off against Anthony Njokuani (15-6) in a lightweight match.

No comments:

Post a Comment